The first month that I moved here to Memphis I began wandering around the Cooper-Young area and began to envision myself living there one day. The houses seemed nice and homey, but not too big. There seemed to be a great lively community feel about the area as well. As I explored the area more I began to realize that the further south I went, the less gentrified the area was. I don't have any specifics on this or home ownership costs but judging by my parents description of the neighborhood 30 years ago, I would venture to say that the value of homes has skyrocketed over the last 30 years north of the Cooper-Young intersection. Will this slow creeping of gentrification take over more of south Cooper? How long will it last and how far will it travel?
Like Brown-Saracino, I too noticed gentrification before knowing exactly how to term it. Gradually learning about the negative affects of gentrification have darkened my naive innocence of living in this neighborhood one day, but the descriptions about social preservationists give me hope. I think social preservationists have the right idea but I'm not sure how successful they are in stopping the negative aspects of gentrification. Is it even possible to move into an area such as Cooper-Young and not impact the original neighborhood in detrimental ways?
No comments:
Post a Comment