Thursday, March 7, 2013
I think it is really difficult to look into tourism without looking into how these groups that provide attractions receive incentives whether they need them or not to stay in the city. I went to Columbus, Ohio recently and wanted to research it. The top things to visit or do were a conference at a massive, massive convention center in a great neighborhood and take a tour of Ohio State the largest college in the US. Both of these were options that were free to me, if I wanted to take them because they were for the public. Where in Memphis besides chilling in Overton Park or Shelby Farms is free every day of the week? I should also note that both of those parks are now being run by private conservancy groups, not the public. So many places as Squires writes are publicly subsidized (for example TIF), but then the public who once had that space for their purposes become unable to patronize because of de facto segregation or lack of interest or a fee. We see this in Memphis, not an excess of free things to do. I mean what if you don't have a car or didn't rent one?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment