Saturday, March 23, 2013

Opposing aspirations

I found the chapter about the aspirations of the teenagers of Clarendon Heights to be particularly interesting.  I thought that the Hallway Hangers possess a more realistic view with their aspirations.  While I dont think its right that the economic system is designed to keep the people at the bottom from having upward mobility, I think the fact that the Hangers actually realize this and come to terms with this is interesting.  I would have thought that their coming to terms with this fact would result in much more anger but they seem rather ambivalent about the whole structure of society.  Perhaps this is because of the low expectations put on them by their parents and the fact that they come from mostly "broken families" with little to know male guidance.  On the other hand I find the optimism of the Brothers to be a bit troubling simply for the fact that statistically speaking they will probably not reach their high aspirations.  I wonder if their hope of attaining the American Dream could result in a downward spiral once they realize the considerable barriers they are facing to achieve their goals.  Does hope actually take a role in achieving ones aspirations or is it better to cut ones losses and face the reality of the situation?  I also noticed that the Hangers and Brothers really represent the dichotomy of street and decent.  Regarding this, are street people more likely to grasp a firm hold on reality, which forces them to turn to street activities?  Does the hope that decent people hold amount to anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment