Wednesday, March 20, 2013
The Hallway Hangers vs. the Brothers
As I was reading about the Hallway Hangers in "Ain't No Makin' It", all I could really think about was how hard it would be to be hopeful when growing up in the projects mostly due to the bad reputations that are inherently put on the residents by society and the lack of opportunity available geographically and academically. MacLeod describes the Hallway Hangers as very cynical, pessimistic, and hopeless across the board while the way he describes the Brothers is almost completely on the opposite side of the spectrum. I am so curious as to what exactly makes these groups so different from one another. How can such a dichotomy develop? They were all raised in the same projects and attended the same schools which discounts most explanations of such differences. MacLeod even says that the only apparent difference between the two groups is the racial make-up. These two groups interest me so much because most of the explanations for why people develop certain perspectives of life is completely shattered with the fact that otherwise, they are very similar foundationally. I want to find out why the Hallway Hangers have accepted their lives in the projects while the Brothers believe that they can and will find a way out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I had some similar thoughts while reading MacLeod. I have always viewed education as the tool for equality. It's a matter of how much effort you put in, right? MacLeod brings up some interesting, and valid, points from various sociologists that make the system sound a little disadvantageous (deterministic) for girls and boys coming from the lower class. I found the Bourdieu argument to be the most interesting. Cultural capital is the linchpin of Bourdieu's theory. What you have before entering school gives you either an advantage/disadvantage in regards to education. Upper class children tend to visit museums and read books, and better fit into the academic world. Lower class children do not even start at the same point when entering school. Therefore, schools in fact do not protect equality but "reproduce social inequality" because school performance leads to economic capital.
ReplyDelete