Thursday, March 21, 2013

Gangsta Gardeners

I recently came across this TED talk:

http://www.ted.com/talks/ron_finley_a_guerilla_gardener_in_south_central_la.html

I found the plan super interesting and possible, but I still have reservations over how much this type of plan would actually change a neighborhood. I find it hard to believe that this type of program could change a neighborhood culture to believe that gardening was gangster rather than such things like drug dealing. How do you all feel about adapting the neighborhood culture? Is it possible?

 My favorite part of this TED talk was the plan to take the vacant lots and turn them into gardens for the community. Do you think this idea is possible - let alone sustainable? Also, do you think a community garden would help solve food deserts and nutrition problems?

1 comment:

  1. I am very familiar with that TED talk-pretty interesting. If anyone wants to see a successful urban garden that took a parking lot, a slumlord's yard, and some other areas over the Saturday of Easter or the next one, I'd be happy to bring them along as I work from 10am-Noon. They are working on creating a Monday night time too.

    ReplyDelete