Last September, I distinctly remember hearing advertisements on the radio for a gun trade-in program taking place in Memphis. On a specified day, Memphis police officers spent hours collecting guns from local residents--without paperwork or questions--in exchange for gas cards and tickets to see the Grizzlies. As someone genuinely interested in the well being of the community, I was glad to hear that such a program exists in the city. However, the happiness was short lived as I began to think about how gun control (or lack thereof) is only one of many problems urban areas face every day. Surely we could do more.
I thoroughly enjoyed Chris Smith’s article on the criminal justice reform program in Oakland, CA. In addition to the great decrease in overall crime in the area, the program is fantastic because workers “negotiate truces, act as mentors, and offer criminals a future--that doesn’t involve prison or death--through jobs, counseling, or a face-saving way to return to school” (Smith 1). This is the kind of program that the idealist in me believes could really save Memphis; at the very least, it could positively influence and even change the lives of a large number of urban residents. I think that one of the most important aspects of this is the fact that the main workers are not police officers, but citizens eager to live in a safer, happier community. It has to be easier to give up an illegal activity knowing that you will be supported and encouraged instead of condemned by the legal system.
All of this is not to belittle the success of Gas for Guns in Memphis, which reportedly resulted in nearly 500 guns off of our streets (cited below). It just seems that Oakland and the other mentioned cities have a good idea about the next step up from our program, and I know Memphians would love to see that kind of favorable outcome in our own backyard.
http://www.wmctv.com/story/19553949/gas-for-grizzlies-big-success
I enjoyed Smith's article as well. I thought it was well written, throughly researched, and thought provoking. When citizens who have first hand knowledge of crime on the streets confront criminals it seems to alleviate tension. Personally, if someone who had no understanding of my culture or background tried on confront me, I would be upset. And as you mentioned, giving these men and women a lucrative job offer makes closing the door on dealing drugs and propagating violence that much easier. I think it's worth noting that while Lifeline is generous and patient, they have no tolerance policy regarding repeat offenders.
ReplyDeleteThe preliminary data on Lifeline's effectiveness seems encouraging. Surely there can be ways to implement what's been shown to be successful in Oakland and Boston to Memphis?
I think Lifeline is a fantastic idea. It is all about preventing the issues, such as gun and gang violence, instead of waiting for deaths, serious injuries, and other serious altercations within neighborhoods to occur. The program is able to work because it gives offenders a genuine chance at restarting their lives in a more positive manner through actual job opportunities and because both parties are far more approachable to the other because they have a great deal in common.
ReplyDeleteOne of my principal concerns with the criminal justice system is the uselessness of prisons. When most criminals get out of jail, they are in worse shape economically and psychologically and are therefore quite likely to return to the habits that put them into prison in the first place, such as drug-dealing and gang violence, because they have nothing else to turn to. This program, Lifeline, provides far more options for offenders than does our typical criminal justice system and creates a sense of optimism for the future.
I especially liked what the assistance chief of police in Oakland, Howard Jordan, said about making everyone a community-policing officer. It sounds slightly ludicrous but when you really think about what this means it is rather simple. Look out for one another, care about others, and create stronger bonds between each other.