I think MacLeod’s analysis of the
discrepancy between the cultural identities that working-class men like the
Hallway Hangers tend to develop and the strictly obsequious public personality
that is needed to maintain employment in most low-level service-based jobs in
chapter nine is one of the most enlightening passages in the book I have read
so far. It is easy and unfortunately not uncommon for middle- and upper-class
people to deride people like the Hangers for being too ‘lazy’ or ‘immoral’ to
approach employment in the same way they do, but I feel sympathetic to the
latter group’s struggle against occupational threats to their conceptions of
themselves. Relatively little time has passed since service and information
industries have usurped the position of manufacturing jobs in the American economy,
so some of the difficulties that the Hallway Hangers and other working-class people
have had adjusting to the new economy may have been unfortunately inevitable consequences
of change. Nevertheless, I wonder how the working poor adapted to other
historical shifts in the American economy, like those brought on by the
Industrial Revolution and the end of the Civil War. It does seems like a long-shot,
but I hope that the labor patterns of times like these might reveal some
suggestions or guidelines for opening up the job market to more working-class
people today.
No comments:
Post a Comment